Current:Home > StocksJason Momoa, Olivia Wilde and More Stars Share Devastation Over Maui Wildfire -Wealth Evolution Experts
Jason Momoa, Olivia Wilde and More Stars Share Devastation Over Maui Wildfire
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:41:59
Hollywood is banding together to help the citizens of Hawaii.
After Hurricane Dora, a Category 4 storm, passed through Hawaii, its winds fueled a wildfire that destroyed the Maui town of Lahaina. On Aug. 10, Maui County confirmed that 36 people died in the fire, with authorities saying that more than 11,000 had been evacuated from the island so far, according to NBC News.
One resident told the outlet, "We have the worst disaster I have ever seen. All Lahiana is burnt to a crisp and it's like an apocalypse."
When disaster struck on Aug. 8, 14 people on the northwest side of the island had to escape the flames and smoke by fleeing into the ocean, per NBC News. The citizens were rescued by the Coast Guard the following day.
"The Coast Guard has been responding to impacted areas where residents are entering the ocean due to smoke and fire conditions," Maui County officials said in a statement Aug. 9. "Individuals were transported by the Coast Guard to safe areas."
As of Aug. 10, there are six fires blazing in Maui and the Big Island that have burned across 2,000 acres, according to Hawaii Emergency Management.
Jason Momoa, who was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, wrote on Instagram, "We are devastated and heartbroken for our friends and ‘ohana on Maui who been impacted by the recent wildfires. Many other places on Maui were also affected. We continue to send pule (prayers) to this incredible community."
The Aquaman star's sentiments were echoed by Olivia Wilde, who posted on her Instagram Stories, "Maui has always saved me, scraped me off the floor when I've been down. I love her. Thinking of the destruction and the lives lost is really breaking my heart."
Vanderpump Rules star Scheana Shay added, "Looking back at some many beautiful photos I've captured on this island and what's happened is just devastating. Please donate anything you can."
Carlos PenaVega and wife Alexa PenaVega have called Maui home since they relocated from Los Angeles in 2017. The couple took to the Big Time Rush star's Instagram Stories to shed light on the devastation.
"Thank you so for all your prayers for us," Carlos said. "We're safe. We're not in Hawaii right now but we have so many friends and family members who have lost their homes. Family members and friends who didn't make it. It's been really hard watching it from the side. Thank you for the support for us and for all the people of Maui right now."
By talking to those who are in Maui, he added, "From what we've been hearing from the people on the ground, whatever you're seeing in photos and pictures doesn't compare to what's happening."
The pair noted that they are headed to Maui in the next few days in order to help and rebuild.
"There are literally no words," said Carlos. "I don't even know if our house over there is good, but honestly, it doesn't even matter. I am so focused on the people of Maui, especially Lahaina because it's gone.
Alexa nodded her head in agreement to her husband's words, before adding a message of her own.
"It's really hard but we are seeing people band together in a way that we haven't in a really long time," she said. "It's beautiful to see community come together but we're asking however you can, help this community."
Actress Kelly Hu—who was named Miss Hawaii USA in 1993—also shared a personal reflection and plea.
"I spent two years growing up on Maui with my Grandparents," the 55-year-old wrote on Instagram. "So Maui holds a very special place in my heart."
Kelly concluded her post, "If you've ever been fortunate enough to experience the splendor of this island please find it in your heart to donate to help people who will be affected by this fire for years to come."
veryGood! (967)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- NASA retires Ingenuity, the little helicopter that made history on Mars
- Mardi Gras 2024: New Orleans parade schedule, routes, what to know about the celebration
- Morgan Wallen's version: Country artist hits back against rumored release of 2014 album
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- France's Constitutional Council scraps parts of divisive immigration law
- Former Spain soccer president Luis Rubiales facing trial for unwanted kiss at Women's World Cup
- Drew Barrymore Shares She Was Catfished on Dating App by Man Pretending to Be an NFL Player
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Luka Doncic lights up Hawks for 73 points, tied for fourth-most in one game in NBA history
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- After 53 years, Baltimore is again a gateway to the Super Bowl as AFC championship game host
- Family of elderly woman killed by alligator in Florida sues retirement community
- Protesting farmers heap pressure on new French prime minister ahead of hotly anticipated measures
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Egyptian soccer officials sacrifice cow for better fortune at Africa Cup
- Inmate overpowers deputy at hospital, flees to nearby home before fatally shooting himself
- Data breaches and ID theft are still hitting records. Here's how to protect yourself.
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Here’s a look at the 6 things the UN is ordering Israel to do about its operation in Gaza
World's first rhino IVF pregnancy could save species that has only 2 living animals remaining
3 people found dead inside house in Minneapolis suburb of Coon Rapids after 911 call
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
In wintry Minnesota, there’s a belief that every snowplow deserves a name
One of two detainees who escaped from a local jail in Arkansas has been captured
Venezuela’s highest court upholds ban on opposition presidential candidate